The Research Associate (RAs) will work with the Project Leader of the RAMSAP (Rehabilitation and Management of Salt-affected soils to improve Agricultural Productivity in Ethiopia and South Sudan) to finalize two review reports based on the literature review, collection and analysis of secondary source data on soil, water and crop management in Ethiopia and South Sudan. She/He will also assist in the collection and analysis of data regarding crop genotypes currently used in these two countries for salt-affected soils. The study is primarily a desk-study, however, she/he might need to travel to the field area if needed. The Research Associate will make proactive and imaginative use of various sources of information including project reports, government departments, literature search, interviews with knowledgeable individuals, farmers, and NGOs.
The Research Associate will report to the supervisor but will work with the whole project team.
The Research Associate will be responsible for daily activities including but not limited to:
- To collect secondary source data and information on occurrence and causes of soil salinity, cultural practices and water management strategies being used for the management and rehabilitation of salt-affected soils in both countries.
- Assist in the surveys and other data collection activities to be conducted in the project.
- Analyze collected data to draw meaningful conclusions regarding the extent, types and mitigation strategies for the salt-affected soils.
- The major output of this assignment will be two comprehensive reports (each 20,000-30,000 words) on the following topics:
- Extent, causes, and characterization of salt-affected soils in Ethiopia and South-Sudan. The report will focus on the productivity of salinized lands and analyze how the productivity of salinized lands is different from the productivity of normal lands.
- Review of existing soil, crop and water management practices used for the management and rehabilitation of salt-affected soils. The report will discuss in detail the current status of the management of salt-affected lands in both countries.
- Assist the Project Leader in any task, as and when required.
- PhD in Agricultural Sciences or related field;
- Good background knowledge of soil, crop and water interactions leading to soil salinization;
- Capacity to analyze soil salinity, groundwater table depths and crop development interactions;
- Proven record of report writing and papers in journals of international repute;
- Capacity to organize and analyze collected field data;
- Good knowledge of computer word, excel, power point, and SPSS package etc;
- Good knowledge of written and oral English.
- Knowledge of statistical packages i.e. SPSS;
- Knowledge of different genotypes suitable for salt-affected soils.
Applicants are kindly requested to send an updated cover letter and C.V combined in one PDF file along with two names as references to:
P.O. Box 14660
Fax: +9714 3361149