The International Center for Biosaline Agriculture(ICBA) is an international, non-profit agricultural research center established in 1999 through the visionary leadership of the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB), the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund, the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development (AFESD), and the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). ICBA is a unique applied agricultural research center in the world that is focused on marginal areas where an estimated 1.7 billion people live. It identifies, tests and introduces resource-efficient, climate-smart crops and technologies that are best suited to different regions affected by salinity, water scarcity and drought. Through its work, ICBA helps to improve food security and livelihoods for some of the poorest rural communities around the world. ICBA is an equal opportunity employer and appoints qualified staff regardless of race, creed, color, age, gender, religion or national origin. We demonstrate our commitment to each member of our team through a competitive benefits package designed to assist our employees to cover their needs and the needs of their immediate family members.
A chef is needed to contribute in the development of the “Halophytic Kitchen Lab” Program, which aims to raise awareness on healthy nutrition, healthy cooking and nutritional benefits of halophytic-based products produced in a desert environment. The activity will be run under the project funded by EXPO LIVE program entitled: “From Desert Farm to Fork: Value chain development for innovative halophyte-based food products”. The new phase of EXPO LIVE project is focusing on the development of the value chain of halophytic products from “desert farm to fork”. Salicornia and other halophytic crops will be cultivated in selected UAE farms applying intermediate upscaling methodologies. Their output will then be transformed through a food industry into innovative halophytic products marketed locally at an initial stage.
In collaboration with the project team, the chef will run 35 cooking sessions (1 ½ hour each session) for students and their parents at ICBA facilities using halophytic (salt-loving) plants contributing in the development of the “Halophytic Kitchen Lab” program that will be launched at ICBA under the EXPO LIVE project activities.
Working in support and under the guidance of the project leader and project component coordinator, the selected consultant will be required to:
- Develop 5 recipes using halophytic (salt-loving) plants
- Prepare a short presentation on healthy cooking tips
- Facilitate and conduct 35 cooking sessions for students and their parents at ICBA facilities
A prospective candidate should meet the following minimum requirements:
- Culinary degree from an accredited institute
- Minimum 7 years of culinary experience in hotels / restaurants establishment
- Experience on recipes creation and food products development
- Familiar with live and interactive cooking sessions
- Experience on live culinary workshops and cooking demonstrations
- Extensive knowledge on using fresh local herbs and spices, vegetables, fruits and unconventional ingredients in cooking
- A working knowledge of English is essential
- In-depth knowledge of cooking practices, cooking processes and culinary arts
- Ability to create new recipes using non common fresh plants
- Familiarity with international cuisines
- Good, comfortable and outspoken communicative skills especially when dealing with students
- Good teamwork skills
- Creative, passionate, self-motivated and detail-oriented with the ability to work under pressure
Qualified candidates are requested to submit the following to HR Section (Consultancies@biosaline.org.ae):
- Updated curriculum vitae
- Sample of previous work
- Proposed daily rate and minimum notice period before commencement of an assignment
- Three references
The expressions of interest should be submitted with the subject line “Chef – EXPO LIVE project”.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to undergo an interview process.