Compost and Biochar Production Unit
- Study the bio-physiochemical changes that happen during the decomposition of wastes of different origins.
- Produce compost for different field experiments to increase sustainability and decrease external inputs.
- Determine the quality of biochar produced from different feedstocks under varying thermal pyrolysis conditions.
- The unit was established in 2017.
- The compost production unit is equipped with a waste shredder, automatic sprinklers to moisturize compost and a leachate collection system.
- The biochar production unit consists of two fixed and one mobile pyrolysis units.
The compost and biochar production facility is designed to study waste decomposition, produce compost and biochar and determine their characteristics. The compost system is comprised of a waste shredder, automatic sprinklers to moisturize compost and a leachate collection system. The biochar system consists of two fixed and one mobile pyrolysis units.
Biochar production is a technology which helps to combat climate change through soil carbon sequestration. Biochar acts as a conditioner for sandy soil and improves its ability to retain water and nutrients.