Research Innovation Theme: Crop Improvement and Sustainable Production
Project Details: Date of Planting: 2001 and 2002 Field Variables:
- Date Palm Varieties: 18 (10 from UAE; 7 from Saudi Arabia and 1 from Iraq)
- Salinity levels: 4 (0.4 dS/m, 5 dS/m, 10 dS/m and 15 dS/m )
- Replications: 2 for 0.4 dS/m, 3 for 5 dS/m and 5 each for 10 and 15 dS/m
- Planting arrangement: Systematic planting in rows within each salinity level
- Assess the long-term impact of salinity on date palm growth, productivity and fruit quality as well as on land (soil).
- Asses the genotypic differences for fruit quality, quantity and disease and pest susceptibility.
- Scale up best management practices under salinity stress (Integrated Pest Management)
- Develop, implement and integrate a system of IoT and drone-based data collection into a GIS-based AI analysis platform for continuous monitoring of the date palm plantation (Palm Smart Management Solution).
- Develop the Palm Smart Management Solution modules for irrigation, pollination and harvesting.
- Develop the Palm Smart Management Solution modules for conducting complete infestation surveillance and early detection and comparing the effectiveness of different new control techniques for red palm weevil.
- Conserve the existing genetic resources by replanting the missing trees using a tissue culture technique (lost due to a severe disease).
Project Team: Drs. Zied Hammami, Ali El Battay, Henda Mahmoudi, Rashyd Zaaboul, Khalil Ammar, Mohammad Shahid, R.K. Singh