Project/Experiment Duration: 2020-2021
Research Innovation Themes: Crop Improvement and Sustainable Production
Project/Experiment Team: Dr. Zied Hammami Mr. Al-Hareth Z. Abdullah Mr. Shahzad E. Ansari Mr. Sijimon Jose
- Recycle and treat green waste from saline environments in a sustainable way by transforming it into valuable products and compost that can be beneficially used for agriculture, horticulture, erosion control, and many other purposes.
- Test several mixtures based on the available vegetation.
- Optimize composting conditions in arid environments to produce compost of good quality by controlling feedstock’s physical and chemical characteristics.
- Optimize composting conditions by adding co-substrates and pre-treating green waste.
- Improve the quality of the final product by adding nutrient elements and/or beneficial microorganisms.
Starting date: 2020 and 2021 Field Variables:
- 36 small units of compost are divided into two sub-plots:
- Different water quantity/quality for each subplot;
- 3 different mixtures of available feedstock and proportion.
- Two replications.