Call for Consultancies - Agricultural Engineer – Development of Quinoa Value chain
The International Center for Biosaline Agriculture(ICBA) is an international, non-profit agricultural research center established in 1999 through the visionary leadership of the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB), the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund, the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development (AFESD), and the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). ICBA is a unique applied agricultural research center in the world that is focused on marginal areas where an estimated 1.7 billion people live. It identifies, tests and introduces resource-efficient, climate-smart crops and technologies that are best suited to different regions affected by salinity, water scarcity and drought. Through its work, ICBA helps to improve food security and livelihoods for some of the poorest rural communities around the world. ICBA is an equal opportunity employer and appoints qualified staff regardless of race, creed, color, age, gender, religion or national origin. We demonstrate our commitment to each member of our team through a competitive benefits package designed to assist our employees to cover their needs and the needs of their immediate family members.
This consultancy will be conducted within a project titled: “Food for the Future II- Building Sustainable Networks and Unleashing Entrepreneurial Potential in Farming Communities living in marginal areas”. The proposed project is being implemented in New Valley governorate in Egypt, where a quinoa value chain already exists but is constrained by various factors. The project will analyze the existing quinoa value chain, develop a pro-poor business model and scale it up. It will introduce and disseminate quinoa cultivars with high tolerance to abiotic stresses and high productivity and yield stability, as well as promote appropriate crop production/management and transformation practices among smallholder quinoa growers.
Under the general supervision of ICBA horticulture and crop scientist, the agricultural engineer will monitor and implement at daily basis the project activities.
Working in support and under the guidance of ICBA horticulture and crop scientist, selected consultant will be required to:
- Collaborate with other partners including farmers on all tasks and project implementation issues.
- Conduct farmer surveys.
- Monitor and implement the project activities at daily basis including quinoa production at farm level and quinoa transformation
- Collect data about quinoa production at farm level and transformation at women cooperative level
- Collaborate with the project partner to organize training, fairs and other events
- Contribute to the preparation and delivery of training and workshops and assist in the production of training materials in Arabic language on quinoa value chain
- Facilitate procurement of goods, equipment and their delivery
- Develop factual technical reports
A prospective candidate should meet the following minimum requirements:
- Advanced university degree (MSc or equivalent), preferably in agricultural sciences with at least 2 years of practical experience in field crop production. Experience in crop value chain will be an added advantage.
- Ability to lead and work within a multidisciplinary group.
- A working knowledge of Arabic and English is essential
- Previous experience with research institutions in project development, appraisal and/or implementation would be an advantage;
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office and the ability to produce professional Word and Excel documents;
- Pass ICBA’s selection/screening.
- In-depth knowledge of field crop production, agricultural research and development arena, with a focus on food/nutrition security, agriculture, livelihoods and/or resilience to climate change;
- Ability to research, analyze and synthesize information related to complex development issues;
- Familiarity with rural communities
- Team player with the skills to coordinate field surveys;
- Self-motivated and detail-oriented with the ability to work under pressure.