Call for Consultancies -Food specialist - Development of Quinoa and Salicornia based products
The International Center for Biosaline Agriculture(ICBA) is an international, non-profit agricultural research center established in 1999 through the visionary leadership of the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB), the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund, the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development (AFESD), and the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). ICBA is a unique applied agricultural research center in the world that is focused on marginal areas where an estimated 1.7 billion people live. It identifies, tests and introduces resource-efficient, climate-smart crops and technologies that are best suited to different regions affected by salinity, water scarcity and drought. Through its work, ICBA helps to improve food security and livelihoods for some of the poorest rural communities around the world. ICBA is an equal opportunity employer and appoints qualified staff regardless of race, creed, color, age, gender, religion or national origin. We demonstrate our commitment to each member of our team through a competitive benefits package designed to assist our employees to cover their needs and the needs of their immediate family members.
This consultancy will be conducted within the HSBC funded project titled: “Food for the Future II-Building Sustainable Networks and Unleashing Entrepreneurial Potential in Farming Communities living in marginal areas”. The proposed project will be implemented in New Valley and Red Sea governorate, where a significant number of farmers live under the poverty threshold and where a quinoa value chain already exists but is constrained by various factors. The project will analyze the existing quinoa value chain, develop a pro-poor business model and scale it up. It will introduce and disseminate quinoa and Salicornia cultivars with high tolerance to abiotic stresses and high productivity and yield stability, as well as promote appropriate crop production/management practices among smallholder quinoa as well as Salicornia growers.
Under the general supervision of the project leader the food specialist will help the project team to develop quinoa and Salicornia based food adapted to local context in Egypt.
Working in support and under the guidance of the project leader and national coordinator, selected consultants will be required to:
- Participate and facilitate project activities.
- Supervise and collaborate with the local coordinator on all his tasks and quinoa and Salicornia processing and transformation issues.
- Collaborate with university students to complete the work
- Prepare a research methodology and identification of pilot areas for field studies and interviews as well as planning activities for the Valorization of Quinoa and Salicornia products
- Participate in the preparation and implementation of training and workshops and assist in the production of training materials in Arabic language on processing, valorization and different uses of quinoa and salicornia.
- Develop a Guide of best Practices for Quinoa and Salicornia Products processing
- Assist in the formulation of a document on quinoa and Salicornia recipes to be developed for the promotion of both crops in Egypt on a large scale in collaboration with the project team.
- Develop mission reports and contribute to project final report
Recipes for quinoa and Salicornia based products developed: The consultant will Develop recipes of quinoa and Salicornia based nutrient-rich food products. The project will establish linkages between farmers, food technologists, nutritionists and agro-food industries, which would enable the development of products adapted to meet local, regional and national needs and taste preferences. These recipes will be provided as part of the training package to farmers (to promote household consumption of quinoa and salicornia) and local women’s cooperatives (for value addition), as well as made available to the general public through various forms of media.
Description of Quinoa and Salicornia based Product Preparation Processes - Normative and Regulatory Requirements (Raw Materials and Other Inputs, final Products).
Prepare a checklist of requirements for HACCP certification: The consultant will assist the project in preparing a check-list of requirements needed for HACCP certification for quinoa and Salicornia processing unit.
Development of a technical guide and valorization unit description for quinoa and Salicornia valorization unit.
Develop and conduct appropriate training packages on the benefits of quinoa consumption and the different quinoa and Salicornia based products and recipes preparation.
Qualifications and Experience:
A prospective candidate should meet the following minimum requirements:
- Advanced university degree (PhD or equivalent), preferably in food sciences with professional experience with at least seven years of practical work in developing food products.
- Ability to lead and work within a multidisciplinary group.
- A working knowledge of Arabic and English is essential
- Previous experience with research institutions, United Nations agencies, NGOs or funding agencies in project development, appraisal and/or implementation would be an advantage;
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office and the ability to produce professional Word and Excel documents;
- Pass ICBA’s selection/screening.
- In-depth knowledge of the international agricultural research and development arena, with a focus on food/nutrition security, agriculture, livelihoods
- Ability to research, analyze and synthesize information related to complex development issues;
- Familiarity with rural communities
- Team player with the skills to coordinate field surveys;
- Self-motivated and detail-oriented with the ability to work under pressure.