Call for Consultancies -Marketing specialist - Assessment of demand for quinoa and Salicornia and Development of marketing and pricing strategy
The International Center for Biosaline Agriculture(ICBA) is an international, non-profit agricultural research center established in 1999 through the visionary leadership of the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB), the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund, the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development (AFESD), and the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). ICBA is a unique applied agricultural research center in the world that is focused on marginal areas where an estimated 1.7 billion people live. It identifies, tests and introduces resource-efficient, climate-smart crops and technologies that are best suited to different regions affected by salinity, water scarcity and drought. Through its work, ICBA helps to improve food security and livelihoods for some of the poorest rural communities around the world. ICBA is an equal opportunity employer and appoints qualified staff regardless of race, creed, color, age, gender, religion or national origin. We demonstrate our commitment to each member of our team through a competitive benefits package designed to assist our employees to cover their needs and the needs of their immediate family members.
This consultancy will be conducted within the HSBC funded project titled: “Food for the Future II-Building Sustainable Networks and Unleashing Entrepreneurial Potential in Farming Communities living in marginal areas”. The proposed project will be implemented in New Valley and Red Sea governorate, where a significant number of farmers live under the poverty threshold and where a quinoa value chain already exists but is constrained by various factors. The project will analyze the existing quinoa value chain, develop a pro-poor business model and scale it up. It will introduce and disseminate quinoa and Salicornia cultivars with high tolerance to abiotic stresses and high productivity and yield stability, as well as promote appropriate crop production/management practices among smallholder quinoa as well as Salicornia growers
Under the general supervision of the project leader the marketing specialist will help the project team to undertake research activities including marketing studies conduct (questionnaires, surveys, etc.) for quinoa and Salicornia in Egypt.
Working in support and under the guidance of the project leader and national coordinator, selected consultants will be required to:
- Develop a communication plan for quinoa and Salicornia marketing
- Analyze the consumer behavior towards quinoa and Salicornia (consumer analysis)
- Collaborate with other consultants on all tasks and project implementation issues.
- Collaborate with university students to complete the marketing survey
- Provide a social assessment of the food uses and habits in the targeted areas.
- Study and evaluate the family food basket of local communities where the introduction of quinoa will be evaluated in comparison with the regional / national food basket.
- Help in assessing the potential rate for quinoa and Salicornia adoption by conducting interviews with representative with the local small holder’s farmers.
- Contribute to the preparation and delivery of training and workshops and assist in the production of training materials in Arabic language on quinoa and Salicornia marketing
- Assist in the formulation of a project document for the promotion of quinoa and Salicornia crop in Egypt on a large scale for introduction, identification, management, use and processing in collaboration with the project team
- Develop factual mission reports and a final report at the end of the mission.
- Analyze consumer demand for quinoa and Salicornia as well as their based products available in local markets (including consumer willingness to pay for different food attributes)
- Analyze the competitiveness of quinoa and Salicornia based products vis-à-vis alternative foods in local markets
- Develop a marketing and pricing strategy for quinoa and Salicornia based food products on the basis of the aforementioned analyses.
- Contribute in the training sessions of the project
A prospective candidate should meet the following minimum requirements:
- Advanced university degree (PhD or equivalent), preferably in social and economic sciences with professional experience with at least 5 years of practical work in marketing studies and socio-economic assessments. Experience in the agricultural sector will be appreciated.
- Ability to lead and work within a multidisciplinary group.
- A working knowledge of English and Arabic is essential
- Previous experience with research institutions, United Nations agencies, NGOs or funding agencies in project development, appraisal and/or implementation would be an advantage;
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office and the ability to produce professional Word and Excel documents;
- Pass ICBA’s selection/screening.
- In-depth knowledge of marketing, agricultural research and development arena, with a focus on food/nutrition security, agriculture, livelihoods and/or resilience to climate change;
- Ability to research, analyze and synthesize information related to complex development issues;
- Familiarity with rural communities
- Team player with the skills to coordinate field surveys;
- Self-motivated and detail-oriented with the ability to work under pressure.