The International Center for Biosaline Agriculture(ICBA) is an international, non-profit agricultural research center established in 1999 through the visionary leadership of the Islamic Development Bank (IDB), the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund, the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development (AFESD), and the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). ICBA is a unique applied agricultural research center in the world that is focused on marginal areas where an estimated 1.7 billion people live. It identifies, tests and introduces resource-efficient, climate-smart crops and technologies that are best suited to different regions affected by salinity, water scarcity and drought. Through its work, ICBA helps to improve food security and livelihoods for some of the poorest rural communities around the world. ICBA is an equal opportunity employer and appoints qualified staff regardless of race, creed, color, age, gender, religion or national origin. We demonstrate our commitment to each member of our team through a competitive benefits package designed to assist our employees to cover their needs and the needs of their immediate family members.
This consultancy will be conducted within the HSBC funded project titled: “Food for the Future II-Building Sustainable Networks and Unleashing Entrepreneurial Potential in Farming Communities living in marginal areas” mainly focusing on the Training program on Integrated farming in UAE component targeted at entrepreneur farmers and extension officers. The proposed project component will be implemented in the UAE and aims to enhance food and nutrition security by facilitating the establishment of farms that integrate agriculture and aquaculture.
Under the general supervision of the project leader the marketing specialist will help the project team by training farmers in market strategies and business tools that can increase their farms’ profitability.
Working in support and under the guidance of the project leader and project component coordinator, the selected consultant will be required to:
- Develop training material on marketing strategies and business tools for the farmers
- Develop content for a short video on marketing & business strategies for agricultural products.
- Facilitate and conduct a training session of farmers and extension officers on marketing and business strategies for agricultural products.
- Training material of marketing strategies and business tools for agricultural products
- Short video of marketing strategies and business tools for agricultural products
- A training report and participant’s list
A prospective candidate should meet the following minimum requirements:
- Advanced university degree (MSc or equivalent), preferably in Agri-business, or marketing with at least 5 years of professional experience in Agro-marketing or agri-business development.
- Previous experience in marketing and business strategy training.
- A working knowledge of English and Arabic is essential
- Ability to lead and work within a multidisciplinary group.
- Previous experience with research institutions, United Nations agencies, NGOs or funding agencies in project development, appraisal and/or implementation or working with farmers would be an advantage;
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office and the ability to produce professional Word and Excel documents;
- Pass ICBA’s selection/screening.
- In-depth knowledge of marketing, agri-business in the development arena, with a focus on food/nutrition security, agriculture, livelihoods and/or resilience to climate change;
- Ability to research, analyze and synthesize information related to complex development issues;
- Familiarity with rural communities
- Team player with training skills;
- Self-motivated and detail-oriented with the ability to work under pressure.
Qualified candidates are requested to submit the following to HR Section (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Updated curriculum vitae
- Sample of original writing
- Proposed daily rate and minimum notice period before commencement of an assignment
- Three references
The expressions of interest should be submitted with the subject line “marketing specialist - training”.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to undergo an assessment.