Curator of Emirates Soil Museum
The International Center for Biosaline Agriculture (ICBA) is an international, non-profit agricultural research center established in 1999 through the visionary leadership of the Islamic Development Bank (IDB), the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund, the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development (AFESD), and the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). ICBA is a unique applied agricultural research center in the world that is focused on marginal areas where an estimated 1.7 billion people live. It identifies, tests and introduces resource-efficient, climate-smart crops and technologies that are best suited to different regions affected by salinity, water scarcity and drought. Through its work, ICBA helps to improve food security and livelihoods for some of the poorest rural communities around the world.
ICBA is an equal opportunity employer and appoints qualified staff regardless of race, creed, color, age, gender, religion or national origin. We demonstrate our commitment to each member of our team through a competitive benefits package designed to assist our employees to cover their needs and the needs of their immediate family members. Women and UAE nationals are encouraged to apply.
The Curator of the Emirates soil museum based in ICBA, will manage collections of soils and other artefacts or works of art. This includes dealing with the acquisition, care and display of items with the aim of informing and educating the visitors to the museum. The curator will also prepare budgets and fund raise to sustain the operations and improvements of the museum. The curator will also build relationships with both internal and external partners and stakeholders and will also raise the profile of the Emirates soil museum in the region.
- responsibility for a collection of soils, artefacts, display materials and equipment;
- acquiring objects or collections of interest to the museum;
- managing hand-on activities for students of different levels from Primary to University level;
- Able to explain the displayed material in the museum during VIP visits;
- cataloguing acquisitions and keeping records;
- carrying out background research and writing catalogues;
- displaying objects or collections in a way that makes them accessible and engaging to the visitors to the museum;
- maintaining website and writing materials and articles for the website;
- planning, organizing, and presenting exhibitions;
- handling enquiries from researchers and the public;
- dealing with enquiries from clients and stakeholders;
- raising the profile and number of visitors to the soil museum in UAE by liaising with school, universities, government agencies and the public;
- dealing with and understanding computer-generated imagery and website software as part of enhancing visitor interaction and experience;
- budget planning, forecasting, monitoring expenditures and reporting;
- prepare business plan for the financial sustenance of the museum, write proposals and liaise with funding agencies, private sector and other interested parties to secure the future of the museum;
- networking with other museums and outside agencies.
You will need to show evidence of the following:
- an interest and knowledge of a relevant subject area;
- accuracy and attention to detail;
- excellent communication skills in English and Arabic, both written and oral;
- proficiency in the use off the shelf computer software such as the MS office suite information technology and web design skills will be an advantage;
- motivation and creative flair;
- influencing and negotiation skills;
- organization, planning and administrative skills;
- project management skills;
- business acumen and ability to develop business plans and formulate fund raising strategies;
- strong public relations and inter personal skills;
- research skills;
- teamwork and building relationships;
- a flexible approach to work.
- BSc in soil science;
- Five-years’ experience in a similar capacity;
- Experience in writing business plans and fund raising;
- Knowledge and experience in the Advance use of software applications such as MS Office Suite, Adobe, Data Base applications and other similar applications.
Applicants are kindly requested to send an updated cover letter and C.V. combined in one PDF file along with two names as references to: Human Resources ICBA P.O. Box 14660 Dubai, UAE Fax: +9714 3361149 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org