Deputy Director General (UAE National only)
The International Center for Biosaline Agriculture (ICBA) is an international, non-profit agricultural research center established in 1999 through the visionary leadership of the Islamic Development Bank (IDB), the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund, the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development (AFESD), and the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). ICBA is a unique applied agricultural research center in the world that is focused on marginal areas where an estimated 1.7 billion people live. It identifies, tests and introduces resource-efficient, climate-smart crops and technologies that are best suited to different regions affected by salinity, water scarcity and drought. Through its work, ICBA helps to improve food security and livelihoods for some of the poorest rural communities around the world. We demonstrate our commitment to each member of our team through a competitive benefits package designed to assist our employees to cover their needs and the needs of their immediate family members. ICBA is an equal opportunity employer and appoints qualified staff regardless of race, creed, color, age or gender.
The Deputy Director General (DDG) is a position of assistance to the Director General (DG) in all aspects of the Center’s activities and will act in absence of the DG.
The DDG will report directly to the DG and as a member of the senior management team and will be responsible for assessing and monitoring the implementation of the center strategy, an annual evaluation of the center performance, and advising the DG on strategic trends where ICBA needs to move in order to maintain its relevance and to support ICBA substantial growth over the next five to 10 years.
- Assistance to the overall management of the Center.
- Monitoring, evaluation, and impact assessment to support both organizational learning, and communication and marketing, in coordination with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Specialist.
- Oversight of the Center Investment Policy. Recommends to Management and the Board of Directors (BoD) low-risk investment options to maximize investment returns.
- Assisting the DG to implement and manage an Enterprise Risk Management Framework in ICBA. Preparing risk management reports for the BoD and increasing a risk awareness culture within ICBA.
- Reviews and analyses on grants, donations, inventory, and general operating procedures to assure maximum return on financial and human resources in consultation with the DG.
- Liaising with donors and collaborators to ensure their requirements regarding reporting. Ensures accountability and transparency are fulfilled and financial compliance outlined in donor agreements.
- Serving as financial advisor, and strategic advisor to the DG anticipating issues and reporting directly to the DG. Assist in the development and management of the Center resource mobilization plans with specific responsibility for UAE and other GCC Countries.
- Participating in the ongoing strategic planning process as an integral member ICBA’s Management Committee.
- All other duties as assigned by the DG.
- A Postgraduate degree in agriculture-related or finance-related areas.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience of management at the senior level
- Fluency in written and spoken Arabic & English.
- Experience in initiating, activating and management of international and national networking systems.
- Advanced analytical and strategic skills required, including ability to analyze and solve problems efficiently and effectively.
- Excellent leadership and management skills.
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal. Ability to effectively present to all levels of the organization, BoD, the donor community, and others.
- Excellent interpersonal skills required, including ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels as well as colleagues; donors and other stake holders; and individuals with diversified backgrounds and nationalities.
- Suitably qualified women are encouraged to apply.
This position reports to the DG. On a daily basis, this position interacts with donors, partners, and all senior staff.