The International Center for Biosaline Agriculture(ICBA) is an international, non-profit agricultural research center established in 1999 through the visionary leadership of the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB), the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund, the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development (AFESD), and the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). ICBA is a unique applied agricultural research center in the world that is focused on marginal areas where an estimated 1.7 billion people live. It identifies, tests and introduces resource-efficient, climate-smart crops and technologies that are best suited to different regions affected by salinity, water scarcity and drought. Through its work, ICBA helps to improve food security and livelihoods for some of the poorest rural communities around the world. ICBA is an equal opportunity employer and appoints qualified staff regardless of race, creed, color, age, gender, religion or national origin. We demonstrate our commitment to each member of our team through a competitive benefits package designed to assist our employees to cover their needs and the needs of their immediate family members.
The Economist will lead impact assessment work in MENA, GCC and Sub-Saharan Africa regions related to interventions in Quinoa and Salicornia, millets, beans, forages, crops under controlled environments and integrated Agri-aqua. This position will work with ICBA team in Dubai and CAC to document ICBA outcomes and impacts in the region where it works. It is expected some collaboration with various stakeholders where ICBA actively engage in collaborations. The selected candidates will lead impact assessment publications in MENA, GCC and Sub-Saharan Africa regions and collaborate in other publications.
The Economist will be part of a multidisciplinary team working on crop diversification and sustainable management or natural resources.
- Lead impact assessment (IA) work of ICBA in MENA, GCC and Sub-Saharan Africa regions and coordinate different IA activities with the ICBA’s teams, other stakeholders where ICBA has collaborations
- Identify technological interventions related to crop diversification and natural resource management research that are suitable for the implementation of impact studies in the regions where ICBA conducts research
- Lead the documentation of the adoption of improved crop varieties for food and feed in various countries in MENA, GCC and Sub-Saharan Africa regions
- Lead the preparation and submission of proposals to implement relevant impact studies in the MENA, GCC and Sub-Saharan Africa regions in collaboration with other ICBA research areas and ICBA partners
- Contribute to IA awareness creation and capacity building among ICBA partners in the region
- Develop a strategy to monitor economic and market trends on innovations ICBA works
- Communicate broadly research findings through peer reviewed publications and other means.
- PhD in Agricultural Economics, Development Economics.
- At least two years of experience in research related to adoption and impact assessment of agricultural technologies and natural resource management
- Demonstrated ability in working with multi-disciplinary teams and in partnership through collaborative research.
- Excellent command of econometrics and other quantitative methods
- Excellent written and oral communication skills for both scientific and proposal writing.
- Experience working in the MENA, GCC and Sub-Saharan Africa region is a plus
- Arabic language proficiency is an advantage.