The International Center for Biosaline Agriculture(ICBA) is an international, non-profit agricultural research center established in 1999 through the visionary leadership of the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB), the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund, the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development (AFESD), and the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). ICBA is a unique applied agricultural research center in the world that is focused on marginal areas where an estimated 1.7 billion people live. It identifies, tests and introduces resource-efficient, climate-smart crops and technologies that are best suited to different regions affected by salinity, water scarcity and drought. Through its work, ICBA helps to improve food security and livelihoods for some of the poorest rural communities around the world. ICBA is an equal opportunity employer and appoints qualified staff regardless of race, creed, color, age, gender, religion or national origin. We demonstrate our commitment to each member of our team through a competitive benefits package designed to assist our employees to cover their needs and the needs of their immediate family members.
The agronomist will develop and lead an applied research and extension program on innovative crop and natural resources management approaches for adoption of the halophytic crops for food, feed, forage and fuel technologies for marginal environments in different regions but not limited to MENA, SSA, and Central Asia. Develop the novel idea to use the reject water brine / brackish water through innovative integrated approaches involving halophytic crops. The scientist will collaborate closely with teams of breeders, seed specialists, social scientists and others working on integrated solutions for halophytic crop-based cropping systems. He/she will develop principles and decision tools for knowledge dissemination to researchers and professional extension staff.
- Planning, developing and implementing projects related to halophyte food, feed, fodder and bio-fuel production systems in marginal environments of the ICBA target regions
- Undertake field experiments related to optimization of halophytes and seed production.
- Optimize the use of reject brine / brackish water through novel integrated approaches involving halophytic cropping system
- Represent ICBA’s halophytic research to a wide audience by presenting at international conferences / meetings, and by communicating with various stakeholders and decision makers
- Develop projects proposals in line with ICBA’s mandate, and procure internal and external funding
- Derive results from compilation and synthesis of experimental data for the inferences and outputs to publish scientific reports and research papers in refereed journals
- Assist in the preparation of ICBA publications, including the newsletter
- Supervise associate scientists, technicians and field workers
- Any other assignment given by supervisor in the interest of ICBA
- PhD in agronomy or related field from a recognized University
- At least 5 years' post-PhD experience in halophytic cropping system
- Strong publications record in refereed journals
- Ability to lead the research with minimal supervision
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Team player with extensive experience working as a member of a multidisciplinary team
- International work experience
- Working knowledge of statistics and database management
- Additional language skills, Arabic is desirable
- Supervisory experience