The International Center for Biosaline Agriculture(ICBA) is an international, non-profit agricultural research center established in 1999 through the visionary leadership of the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB), the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund, the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development (AFESD), and the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). ICBA is a unique applied agricultural research center in the world that is focused on marginal areas where an estimated 1.7 billion people live. It identifies, tests and introduces resource-efficient, climate-smart crops and technologies that are best suited to different regions affected by salinity, water scarcity and drought. Through its work, ICBA helps to improve food security and livelihoods for some of the poorest rural communities around the world. ICBA is an equal opportunity employer and appoints qualified staff regardless of race, creed, color, age, gender, religion or national origin. We demonstrate our commitment to each member of our team through a competitive benefits package designed to assist our employees to cover their needs and the needs of their immediate family members.
The horticulturist will conduct applied research on horticulture and protected agriculture, including fruit and vegetable production systems. The incumbent will work to develop and improve horticulture and protected agriculture systems (including hydroponic systems, net-houses, greenhouses, vertical and indoor farming systems, lighting etc.).
- Develop and implement a plan of work to advance and upgrade protected agriculture systems to suit local environments (GCC, Africa);
- Test different protected agriculture and hydroponic systems under various conditions to evaluate their efficiency and adapt to local needs;
- Introduce new horticultural crops and varieties and assess their performance and adaptability;
- Introduce new solutions related to greenhouses, hydroponic systems and agricultural inputs and evaluate their efficiency and their technical and economic feasibility. This includes evaluating lighting, substrate etc.;
- Design and set up trials and conduct all related technical operations including cultivation practices and measurement records;
- Conduct field surveys, agricultural data collection, as well as the synthesis and analysis of data employing scientific rigor required for high-level international publications;
- Interact and collaborate with other research programs (internally and externally) to develop, implement and lead multidisciplinary research activities and participate as a team player in developing technical reports, extension materials as well as corporate publications such as annual and bi-annual reports, newsletters, articles, brochures etc.;
- Support the horticulture scientist and other colleagues in planning, developing and implementing projects related to horticulture and crop production;
- Prepare required project reporting, authoring papers for publications in refereed journals;
- Develop projects related to their area of expertise and in line with ICBA’s mandate. Lead the preparation of concept notes and proposals to secure internal and external funding;
- Supervise students, interns and workers involved in the research activities;
- Work with ICBA’s partners including the private sector, national centers, universities to develop protected agriculture systems. Assist in the creation of national, regional and international networks when advantageous;
- Develop and take part in workshops, conferences and capacity-building programs for scientists and regional specialists in their area of expertise;
- Assist as required the Directorate of Programs’ research and development agenda and resource mobilization initiatives.
- A Ph.D. in horticulture or agricultural sciences;
- At least 5 years of experience in horticulture or protected agriculture;
- A strong publication record in indexed peer-reviewed journals;
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Experience working as a member of multidisciplinary teams;
- Ability to independently design and conduct field research;
- International work experience.
- Working knowledge of statistics and programming;
- Knowledge of Arabic and/or French;
- Supervisory experience.