Internship: Project Officer Intern
The International Center for Biosaline Agriculture(ICBA) is an international, non-profit agricultural research center established in 1999 through the visionary leadership of the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB), the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund, the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development (AFESD), and the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). ICBA is a unique applied agricultural research center in the world that is focused on marginal areas where an estimated 1.7 billion people live. It identifies, tests and introduces resource-efficient, climate-smart crops and technologies that are best suited to different regions affected by salinity, water scarcity and drought. Through its work, ICBA helps to improve food security and livelihoods for some of the poorest rural communities around the world. ICBA is an equal opportunity employer and appoints qualified staff regardless of race, creed, color, age, gender, religion or national origin. We demonstrate our commitment to each member of our team through a competitive benefits package designed to assist our employees to cover their needs and the needs of their immediate family members.
This internship will be conducted under ICBA’s Directorate of Programs for a period of 5 months. The intern is required to support program and project leaders in project management tasks. Specifically, the project officer will help in planning, executing, reporting, monitoring and evaluating projects according to pre-determined timelines and budgets. Ensuring quality control throughout the project life cycle is central to this position.
- Project planning: contribute to the preparation of the succeeding year Annual Workplan and Budget.
- Project executing: manage the day-to-day operations of the project in collaboration with the relevant scientists, project partners and Project Leads. Support Project leaders to manage appropriate project staff including consultants or contractors; support in reviewing job contributions; initiate and follow-up the procurement of goods and services for the project; schedule and organize project meetings when required; contribute to the preparation of technical and financial reports; prepare budget forecast. Initiate payments to partners as per the project agreement. Coordinate with communications to create project awareness and update project knowledge base.
- Project monitoring: work with Project leaders in measuring project progress and performance against baseline and expected results; monitor milestones and ensure the timely submission of deliverables; determine if variances warrant a corrective action and request changes when appropriate; ensure any changes in scope are approved and documented; Compile and document all project related documents,
- Perform other tasks as per Director of Programs and Program leaders’ requirements.
AED3,000 per month.
- University Degree or equivalent in a related subject (Agriculture, Environmental Sciences, Public Administration, Social Sciences, International Relations, etc.), a project management training/course will be an added advantage.
- Project management experience preferred
- Proficiency in the use of computers and related programs.