Marketing specialist - consultant
The International Center for Biosaline Agriculture(ICBA) is an international, non-profit agricultural research center established in 1999 through the visionary leadership of the Islamic Development Bank (IDB), the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund, the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development (AFESD), and the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). ICBA is a unique applied agricultural research center in the world that is focused on marginal areas where an estimated 1.7 billion people live. It identifies, tests and introduces resource-efficient, climate-smart crops and technologies that are best suited to different regions affected by salinity, water scarcity and drought. Through its work, ICBA helps to improve food security and livelihoods for some of the poorest rural communities around the world. ICBA is an equal opportunity employer and appoints qualified staff regardless of race, creed, color, age, gender, religion or national origin. We demonstrate our commitment to each member of our team through a competitive benefits package designed to assist our employees to cover their needs and the needs of their immediate family members.
This consultancy will be conducted within the IDRC funded project titled: “Scaling up quinoa value chain to improve food and nutritional security in poor rural communities of Morocco”. The proposed project is being implemented in Rehamna Province, where a significant number of farmers live under the poverty threshold and where a quinoa value chain already exists but is constrained by various factors. The project will analyze the existing quinoa value chain, develop a pro-poor business model and scale it up. It will introduce and disseminate quinoa cultivars with high tolerance to abiotic stresses and high productivity and yield stability, as well as promote appropriate crop production/management practices among smallholder quinoa growers.
Under the general supervision of the project's local coordinator in Morocco and the project leader marketing specialist will help the project team to undertake research activities within IDRC funded project entitled: “Scaling up quinoa value chain to improve food and nutritional security in poor rural communities of Morocco”.
Working in support and under the guidance of the project leader and national coordinator, selected consultants will be required to:
- Collaborate with other consultants on all tasks and project implementation issues.
- Provide a social assessment of the food uses and habits in the targeted areas.
- Study and evaluate the family food basket of local communities where the introduction of quinoa will be evaluated in comparison with the regional / national food basket.
- Help in assessing the potential rate for quinoa adoption by conducting interviews with representative with the local small holder’s farmers.
- Contribute to the preparation and delivery of training and workshops and assist in the production of training materials in Arabic language on quinoa marketing
- Assist in the formulation of a project document for the promotion of quinoa crop in Morocco on a large scale for quinoa introduction, identification, management, use and processing in collaboration with the project team
- Develop factual mission reports and a final report at the end of the mission.
- Analyze consumer demand for quinoa and quinoa-based products available in local markets (including consumer willingness to pay for different food attributes)
- Analyze the competitiveness of quinoa and quinoa-based products vis-à-vis alternative foods in local markets,
- Develop a marketing and pricing strategy for the quinoa-based food products on the basis of the aforementioned analyses.
- Contribute in the training sessions of the project
A prospective candidate should meet the following minimum requirements:
- Advanced university degree (PhD or equivalent), preferably in social and economic sciences with professional experience with at least 5 years of practical work in marketing studies and socio-economic assessments. Experience in the agricultural sector will be appreciated.
- Ability to lead and work within a multidisciplinary group.
- A working knowledge of French and English is essential
- Previous experience with research institutions, United Nations agencies, NGOs or funding agencies in project development, appraisal and/or implementation would be an advantage;
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office and the ability to produce professional Word and Excel documents;
- Pass ICBA’s selection/screening.
- In-depth knowledge of marketing, agricultural research and development arena, with a focus on food/nutrition security, agriculture, livelihoods and/or resilience to climate change;
- Ability to research, analyze and synthesize information related to complex development issues;
- Familiarity with rural communities
- Team player with the skills to coordinate field surveys;
- Self-motivated and detail-oriented with the ability to work under pressure.