Media & Outreach Specialist
The International Center for Biosaline Agriculture(ICBA) is an international, non-profit agricultural research center established in 1999 through the visionary leadership of the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB), the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund, the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development (AFESD), and the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). ICBA is a unique applied agricultural research center in the world that is focused on marginal areas where an estimated 1.7 billion people live. It identifies, tests and introduces resource-efficient, climate-smart crops and technologies that are best suited to different regions affected by salinity, water scarcity and drought. Through its work, ICBA helps to improve food security and livelihoods for some of the poorest rural communities around the world. ICBA is an equal opportunity employer and appoints qualified staff regardless of race, creed, color, age, gender, religion or national origin. We demonstrate our commitment to each member of our team through a competitive benefits package designed to assist our employees to cover their needs and the needs of their immediate family members.
Media & Outreach Specialist will be responsible for developing and implementing communications strategies aimed at building awareness about ICBA’s work among internal and external stakeholders. The incumbent will be the main point of contact for media inquiries and will manage relations with national, regional, and international media outlets. They will also produce communications content (print, digital, photo and video) and plan events and activities to promote ICBA’s work. They will work closely with Head of Knowledge Management and Communications and provide necessary support for day-to-day communications operations.
- Develop and implement communications strategies to promote ICBA’s work in coordination with the management.
- Ensure timely distribution of information among internal and external stakeholders.
- Manage relations with national, regional, and international media outlets and regularly update contact information for journalists, editors, producers, and other media representatives.
- Write press releases, news updates, feature stories, project briefs, success stories, brochures, flyers, and other corporate and project content.
- Provide writing support to the center’s staff in developing publications, project reports and brochures, presentations, and other materials.
- Contribute to annual reports, strategies, speeches, and any other communications outputs.
- Plan and organize events and activities that showcase ICBA’s work to internal and external stakeholders.
- Produce wide-ranging communications content in collaboration with scientists, partners and others for newsletters, publications etc. tailored to the needs and requirements of different audiences.
- Produce multimedia content, including videos, photographs, posters.
- Develop and manage content for ICBA’s websites, social media accounts and other channels.
- Proactively look for opportunities to promote ICBA’s work in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Develop new ideas for communications content to promote the center’s work.
- Ensure that the center’s work receives regular positive media coverage.
- Provide regular updates on the results of communications strategies and activities (website and social media statistics etc.) to the management.
- Provide other support and do any other tasks as requested and required by Head of Knowledge Management and Communications.
- A B.A. in English language and literature, communications, or journalism.
- A total of 5 to 7 years of experience writing for research, development, or media organizations, preferably with a focus on international audiences.
- Native-level English and Arabic writing skills. Knowledge of any other languages is a plus.
- Excellent writing and editing skills in Arabic and English
- A good track record of producing original, engaging content.
- Excellent knowledge of social media and communications tools and technologies
- Experience in PR and marketing.
- Extensive experience in managing social media campaigns.
- Photography and videography, including video editing.
- Knowledge of analytics tools for social media and other channels.
- Excellent photography, videography, and photo and video editing skills.
- A proactive attitude, and strong organizational skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Experience in producing high-quality video content.
Please note that shortlisted candidates will be given a writing assignment prior to interview.