Molecular biology Intern
The International Center for Biosaline Agriculture(ICBA) is an international, non-profit agricultural research center established in 1999 through the visionary leadership of the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB), the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund, the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development (AFESD), and the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). ICBA is a unique applied agricultural research center in the world that is focused on marginal areas where an estimated 1.7 billion people live. It identifies, tests and introduces resource-efficient, climate-smart crops and technologies that are best suited to different regions affected by salinity, water scarcity and drought. Through its work, ICBA helps to improve food security and livelihoods for some of the poorest rural communities around the world. ICBA is an equal opportunity employer and appoints qualified staff regardless of race, creed, color, age, gender, religion or national origin. We demonstrate our commitment to each member of our team through a competitive benefits package designed to assist our employees to cover their needs and the needs of their immediate family members.
This internship will be conducted under ICBA’s Directorate of Programs for a period of 3 months. The intern is required to support the post-doctoral fellow for carrying out regular molecular biology activities in Desert Life Science Laboratory. Specifically, the intern will help in DNA isolation and carrying out DNA finger printing and hybridity testing of breeding lines using various PCR based molecular markers. The intern will also help in preparing sequencing library for various the plant samples.
The intern is required to work on the following:
- DNA isolation: Isolation of genomic DNA from various accession and breeding lines. The intern will further carryout the quality check through agarose gel electrophoresis, quantify the same using Nano drop and Qubit.
- Identification of polymorphic markers: will work with post-doctoral fellow for identification of polymorphic markers. The intern will perform PCR amplification and agarose/polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis further to identify the polymorphic markers among various parents used in the breeding programs at Crop Diversification and Genetics section.
- Hybridity testing: work with molecular biologist and plant breeders to test the hybridity of the F1s developed using different parental combinations using various PCR based markers.
- DNA fingerprinting of various accession to check the duplicates.
- Perform other tasks as per laboratory requirements.
- Master’s Degree Biotechnology more specifically in Plant Biotechnology.
- Have thorough knowledge of basic biotechnological techniques like DNA isolation, agarose gel electrophoresis and PCR.
- Proficiency in the use of computers and related programs.
- Valid UAE residency