The International Center for Biosaline Agriculture(ICBA) is an international, non-profit agricultural research center established in 1999 through the visionary leadership of the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB), the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund, the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development (AFESD), and the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). ICBA is a unique applied agricultural research center in the world that is focused on marginal areas where an estimated 1.7 billion people live. It identifies, tests and introduces resource-efficient, climate-smart crops and technologies that are best suited to different regions affected by salinity, water scarcity and drought. Through its work, ICBA helps to improve food security and livelihoods for some of the poorest rural communities around the world. ICBA is an equal opportunity employer and appoints qualified staff regardless of race, creed, color, age, gender, religion or national origin. We demonstrate our commitment to each member of our team through a competitive benefits package designed to assist our employees to cover their needs and the needs of their immediate family members.
This consultancy will be conducted within the RESADE project “Improving Agricultural Resilience to Salinity through Development and Promotion of Pro-poor Technologies”. The project aims to improve food security and reduce poverty of poor smallholder farmers, particularly women, in salinity-affected areas in Botswana, The Gambia, Liberia, Mozambique, Namibia, Sierra Leone, and Togo. The project will provide a review for current water resources management policies and propose recommendations for their improvement.
Under the general supervision of the project leader and guidance and support from the project team the water policy consultant will develop and elaborate a review report of water management policy and development of water use policy guidance for each target country through stakeholder and expert focus group workshops and interviews.
Working in support and under the guidance of the project leader, selected consultants will be required to:
- Review the existing national water resources management national plans and policies for each country
- Determine the water resources management policy gaps
- Develop management scenarios taking into-account climate change, water availability, food security and soil salinity conditions
- Develop policy recommendations for improving water resources management practices to increase agricultural productivity and increase water efficiency.
Practically the consultant will need to:
- Conduct missions to all target countries for direct contact with the stakeholders and interviews
- Prepare and facilitate the focus group and stakeholder workshops (2 days) in each country
- Consolidate and compile the workshop discussions, identify gaps, prepare recommendations, and identify future directions…etc.
- Conduct field visit for farms and relevant stakeholders’ for in-depth discussions to seek their feedback
The consultant will elaborate a report including the following chapters:
- Assessment of the current water resources management and plans based on the review of existing documents and other available literature.
- Recommendations for the improvement of the management of water resources
- Water resources management scenarios and options under climate change, water availability and salinity problem
- Strategic directions to improve overall water resources management
A prospective candidate should meet the following minimum requirements:
- Advanced university degree (MSc or equivalent), preferably in policy, social or water sciences with professional experience with at least 10 years of practical work in Developing & Implementing Innovative Solutions for Policy Challenges. Experience in the agricultural sector will be appreciated.
- Ability to lead and work within a multidisciplinary group.
- A working knowledge of French and English is essential
- Previous experience with research institutions, United Nations agencies, NGOs or funding agencies in project development, appraisal and/or implementation would be an advantage;
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office and the ability to produce professional Word and Excel documents;
- Ability to travel in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Pass ICBA’s selection/screening.
- In-depth knowledge of policy, behavior change and Intergovernmental & Multi-Stakeholder Engagement;
- Ability to research, analyze and synthesize information related to complex development issues;
- Familiarity with rural communities
- Team player with the skills to coordinate field surveys;
- Self-motivated and detail-oriented with the ability to work under pressure.
Qualified candidates are requested to submit the following to ICBA HR Section: (email@example.com):
- Updated curriculum vitae
- Samples of original writing
- Proposed daily rate and minimum notice period before commencement of an assignment
- Three references
The expressions of interest should be submitted with the subject line “Policy specialist”.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to undergo an assessment.