The International Center for Biosaline Agriculture(ICBA) is an international, non-profit agricultural research center established in 1999 through the visionary leadership of the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB), the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund, the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development (AFESD), and the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). ICBA is a unique applied agricultural research center in the world that is focused on marginal areas where an estimated 1.7 billion people live. It identifies, tests and introduces resource-efficient, climate-smart crops and technologies that are best suited to different regions affected by salinity, water scarcity and drought. Through its work, ICBA helps to improve food security and livelihoods for some of the poorest rural communities around the world. ICBA is an equal opportunity employer and appoints qualified staff regardless of race, creed, color, age, gender, religion or national origin. We demonstrate our commitment to each member of our team through a competitive benefits package designed to assist our employees to cover their needs and the needs of their immediate family members.
Conduct applied research on halophytic crops directed for food, feed, biofuel and other innovative uses under marginal environments using low-quality water resources such as saline groundwater, seawater, aquaculture effluents and reject brine from desalination. The selected candidate will work on Integrated Agri- Aquaculture Systems (IAAS) where the fish and halophytic components are combined to maximize the recycling of water and nutrients. The successful candidate will oversee the experiments on screening, evaluation and optimizing management practices for halophytic crops (Salicornia and other halophytic food and feed species) and aquaponics.
Qualifications and Experience
- PhD in halophytes / aquaculture / agronomy or equivalent from a recognized University
- At least 2 years' post PhD experience preferably in halophytic and/or aquaculture production systems
- Strong publications record in refereed journals.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Experience working as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- International work experience
- Good communication, teamwork and writing skills.
- Working knowledge of statistics and database management.
- Additional language skills, Arabic is desirable.
- Supervisory experience.