Post Doctoral Fellow –Food Security
The International Center for Biosaline Agriculture(ICBA) is an international, non-profit agricultural research center established in 1999 through the visionary leadership of the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB), the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund, the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development (AFESD), and the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). ICBA is a unique applied agricultural research center in the world that is focused on marginal areas where an estimated 1.7 billion people live. It identifies, tests and introduces resource-efficient, climate-smart crops and technologies that are best suited to different regions affected by salinity, water scarcity and drought. Through its work, ICBA helps to improve food security and livelihoods for some of the poorest rural communities around the world. ICBA is an equal opportunity employer and appoints qualified staff regardless of race, creed, color, age, gender, religion or national origin. We demonstrate our commitment to each member of our team through a competitive benefits package designed to assist our employees to cover their needs and the needs of their immediate family members.
Background: Under the Collaborative Research Program Grant Agreement 2019 between the UAE Ministry of Education and the University of Wollongong in Dubai (UOWD), the International Center for Biosaline Agriculture in collaboration with the University of Wollongong in Dubai and the United Arab Emirates University will jointly implement Resilient Agrifood Dynamism through Evidence Based policies - READY project. This project will examine the global drivers of change and assess their impact on the UAE food system including the society and the dietary habits of the UAE consumers. The project’s duration is three years.
Purpose: The Postdoctoral Fellow will develop in collaboration with the project team a set of innovation-driven tools that will enable the UAE food system to obtain the Resilient Dynamism to adapt to changing contexts, to withstand sudden shocks and to recover from them and consolidate Food Security for the UAE citizens through improving policy-making capacity. These tools could include a vulnerability assessment tool, a set of policies, an early warning system, and a Roadmap towards strengthening the resilience of the UAE food system
- Contribute to developing the project analytical framework particularly identifying key data sources for the project, contribute to developing the layout for analytical framework like developing indicators, data collection methods, baseline, sampling strategies, etc., and review of drivers and policies shaping Food Security.
- Contribute to assessing and developing key food value chain processing and infrastructure in the UAE.
- Contribute to identifying key value chains, gaps in the value chain, and mapping value chains.
- Contribute to the design of surveys and fieldwork.
- Examine issues related to food security and contribute to vulnerability mapping.
- Contribute to developing a correlation matrix and food security computer-based management tool.
- Contribute to developing scenarios that will represent potential futures that reach beyond classical trend analysis.
- Contribute to analyzing and synthesizing data/marketing information on food and agricultural commodities to clearly identify medium- and long-term market opportunities for key food products Identify context-specific constraints to be addressed and to identify opportunities that can be leveraged through market interventions
- Contribute to interpreting policy recommendations based on the results of scenario analysis.
- Contribute to developing policy briefs, presenting policy options and recommendations in view of the analysis being carried out.
- Take part in meetings, workshops, and conferences.
- Authoring papers for publications in refereed journals.
- Work with ICBA’s partners including the private sector, national centers, universities for advancing innovations for food value chain.
- Assist in the creation of networks with regional, national and international institutions and take part in those already in place and conduct collaborative research with stakeholders and network partners.
- Assist as required by the Program Leader of Sustainable Natural Resources Management Section on research and development agenda and resource mobilization initiatives.
- Ph.D. in food security and food value chain.
- At least two years of experience in food security research.
- A good publication record in indexed peer-reviewed journals.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Experience working as a member of multidisciplinary teams.
- Ability to independently design and conduct research.
- Experience in food security and gulf food value chain.
- Knowledge of food systems simulation models.
- Additional language skills, Arabic is desirable.
- Experience in R programing/coding or other similar coding.
- Good experience in economic analysis and modeling