Post-Doctoral Fellow: Research Agronomist
The International Center for Biosaline Agriculture(ICBA) is an international, non-profit agricultural research center established in 1999 through the visionary leadership of the Islamic Development Bank (IDB), the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund, the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development (AFESD), and the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). ICBA is a unique applied agricultural research center in the world that is focused on marginal areas where an estimated 1.7 billion people live. It identifies, tests and introduces resource-efficient, climate-smart crops and technologies that are best suited to different regions affected by salinity, water scarcity and drought. Through its work, ICBA helps to improve food security and livelihoods for some of the poorest rural communities around the world. ICBA is an equal opportunity employer and appoints qualified staff regardless of race, creed, color, age, gender, religion or national origin. We demonstrate our commitment to each member of our team through a competitive benefits package designed to assist our employees to cover their needs and the needs of their immediate family members.
Conduct research on cultivation of crops to improve crops yield in the saline and marginal environments particularly soil conditions in different agro-climatic zones, and variety of crops production techniques suitable for each local environment. The Post-Doctoral Fellow will screen, evaluate and optimize management practices for growth of crops in Southern Kazakhstan. Develop crop models to simulate the growth of the crops and determine the gaps in yield. Monitor demonstration and experimental sites with attention to crop rotation, weed and pest control, plot maintenance, agronomic and harvest. Any other similar research assignments identified by the section head or division director.
- Conduct literature review related to agronomy and in reply to the research needs
- Establish experimental trials and demonstration farms, monitor, evaluate, analyze, interpret and report results of product trials and experiments
- Contribute to writing proposals and concept notes related to area of expertise and in line with ICBA mandate
- Contribute to developing projects related to area of expertise and in line with ICBA mandate, and procure internal and external funding
- Support the Senior Scientist in planning, developing and implementing projects related to crop production systems in saline and marginal environments
- Undertake field experiments related to optimization of crops and seed production.
- Develop crop modeling and simulation, and yield gap analysis
- Synthesis of data and in the write up papers for publication in refereed journals.
- Prepare scientific reports and publications on area of expertise
- Assist in the preparation of ICBA publications, including the newsletter
- Supervise associate technicians and field workers
- PhD in agronomy or related field from a recognized University
- At least 2 years' experience in forage and crop production system
- Strong publications record in refereed journals
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Experience working as a member of a multidisciplinary team
- International work experience
- Working knowledge of statistics and database management
- Additional language skills, Russian is desirable
- Supervisory experience
Applicants are kindly requested to send an updated cover letter and C.V. combined in one PDF file along with two names as references to: Human Resources ICBA P.O. Box 14660 Dubai, UAE Fax: +9714 3361149 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org