Post-Doctoral Fellow: Socio-economic Scientist
The International Center for Biosaline Agriculture(ICBA) is an international, non-profit agricultural research center established in 1999 through the visionary leadership of the Islamic Development Bank (IDB), the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund, the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development (AFESD), and the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). ICBA is a unique applied agricultural research center in the world that is focused on marginal areas where an estimated 1.7 billion people live. It identifies, tests and introduces resource-efficient, climate-smart crops and technologies that are best suited to different regions affected by salinity, water scarcity and drought. Through its work, ICBA helps to improve food security and livelihoods for some of the poorest rural communities around the world. ICBA is an equal opportunity employer and appoints qualified staff regardless of race, creed, color, age, gender, religion or national origin. We demonstrate our commitment to each member of our team through a competitive benefits package designed to assist our employees to cover their needs and the needs of their immediate family members.
The Scientist will conduct research, prepare plans, write reports and scientific papers to address the social and economic issues associated with agricultural production and sustainable use of water and soil. As such, the Scientist will analyze economic and financial data, and other statistical data using relevant economic methods and techniques. The Scientist will conduct where needed surveys on related research questions and collect data from the field.
The scientist is expected to contribute to the social and economic analysis where needed in the ongoing projects in the countries where ICBA implements projects. Field work will be conducted to reach the farmers, particularly the marginal groups, in these countries. The value chain of the agricultural production from farm to fork with focus on marketing will be the main the scientist’s activities.
- Conduct literature reviews, design and implement surveys, analyze qualitative and/or quantitative data
- Generate policy recommendations, and policy briefs.
- Present findings at regional and international meetings and conferences, as well as to stakeholder communities in the target countries. The position may involve regional and international travel.
- Conduct specific research that is needed to enhance the quality of the existing data to bring international publication levels.
- Assist the R&I Division and Sections in developing technical reports, extension materials, and policy and communication briefs.
- Assist in training programs of the division and other ICBA publications.
- Ph.D. in one of: Economics, Agricultural Economics, Agri-Business, Finance, Resource or Environmental Economics, Sociology, Geography, Anthropology
- 2 years’ experience in a research role
- Expertise in of one of the following areas (please indicate in covering letter):
- Gender and rural development
- Economics of agricultural production
- Valuation of water for agriculture
- Vulnerability assessments, resilience, and adaptation to climate change in rural areas
- Strong publications record in refereed journals
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Experience in working as a member of a multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to initiate, conduct, and publish research in a scientific manner and to obtain external grant funding
- Well-developed oral and written communication skills
- Working knowledge of statistics and database management
- Additional language skills, Arabic is desirable
- Supervisory experience
Applicants are kindly requested to send an updated cover letter and C.V. combined in one PDF file along with two names as references to: Human Resources ICBA P.O. Box 14660 Dubai, UAE Fax: +9714 3361149 Email: email@example.com