Post – Doctoral Fellow- Soil Remediation Scientist
The International Center for Biosaline Agriculture(ICBA) is an international, non-profit agricultural research center established in 1999 through the visionary leadership of the Islamic Development Bank (IDB), the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund, the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development (AFESD), and the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). ICBA is a unique applied agricultural research center in the world that is focused on marginal areas where an estimated 1.7 billion people live. It identifies, tests and introduces resource-efficient, climate-smart crops and technologies that are best suited to different regions affected by salinity, water scarcity and drought. Through its work, ICBA helps to improve food security and livelihoods for some of the poorest rural communities around the world. ICBA is an equal opportunity employer and appoints qualified staff regardless of race, creed, color, age, gender, religion or national origin. We demonstrate our commitment to each member of our team through a competitive benefits package designed to assist our employees to cover their needs and the needs of their immediate family members.
Conduct applied research related to different aspects of soil with a focus on the rehabilitation and management of soils in marginal environments and their relations to ecosystems. The postdoctoral fellow will work with a multidisciplinary team to evaluate the impact of various soil amendments and other innovative biosaline agriculture techniques on soil quality, nutrient cycling, water use efficiency, carbon sequestration, and GHGs emissions.
- Undertake field experiments related to the optimization of soil management practices in marginal environments and their impact on the environment.
- Contribute to planning, developing, and implementing projects related to soil rehabilitation, protection, or management for agricultural production.
- Supervise soil and water laboratory measurements and assure compliance with required quality of analysis.
- Derive results from compilation and synthesis of experimental data for the inferences and outputs to publish scientific reports and research papers in refereed journals
- Prepare scientific reports and publications on area of expertise
- Assist in the preparation of ICBA publications, including the newsletter
- Supervise field assistants and labors
- Participate in developing research proposals and projects related to soils in line with ICBA’s mandate, and procure internal and external funding
- Provide technical assistance to the stakeholders (farmers, researchers, extension officers, and associated entrepreneurs).
- Any other assignment by the supervisor that of interest of ICBA
- Ph.D. in Soil sciences (Soil Chemistry, soil fertility or soil Pedology) from a well-known, recognized University
- Recent Ph.D. degree (Less than five years from graduation)
- Significant publication record in refereed journals.
- Experience and applied research related to marginal soils and their management (i.e., saline and degraded soils).
- Statistical data analysis and experimental design skills are a must
- Knowledge and work experience of soil survey, soil classification, and soil suitability
- Experience in GIS is preferable
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Experience working as a member of a multidisciplinary team
- International work experience is an advantage
- Excellent communication, teamwork and writing skills