Post-Doctoral Fellow: Vertical and Urban Farming
The International Center for Biosaline Agriculture(ICBA) is an international, non-profit agricultural research center established in 1999 through the visionary leadership of the Islamic Development Bank (IDB), the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund, the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development (AFESD), and the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). ICBA is a unique applied agricultural research center in the world that is focused on marginal areas where an estimated 1.7 billion people live. It identifies, tests and introduces resource-efficient, climate-smart crops and technologies that are best suited to different regions affected by salinity, water scarcity and drought. Through its work, ICBA helps to improve food security and livelihoods for some of the poorest rural communities around the world. ICBA is an equal opportunity employer and appoints qualified staff regardless of race, creed, color, age, gender, religion or national origin. We demonstrate our commitment to each member of our team through a competitive benefits package designed to assist our employees to cover their needs and the needs of their immediate family members.
Conduct research on urban and vertical farming on fruits and vegetables production systems. The Postdoc will develop vertical farming systems, test different crops using hydroponic systems and innovative technologies like lightning, and evaluate their efficiency and their technical and economic feasibility.
The researcher will conduct literature review related to vertical and urban farming, determine the best available technologies and methods that can be applied in urban areas under different agro-climatic zones. Determine low-cost technologies on farm level and potential expansion in commercial farms.
- Develop and implement a plan of work based on locally identified needs which will lead to improved vertical and urban farming.
- Design and set-up trials and conduct all related technical operations including growing practices and measurement records.
- Conduct field surveys and agriculture data collection.
- Supervise students, interns and workers involved in the research activities.
- Work with ICBA partners including private sector for vertical farming systems development.
- Support horticulture scientist and other colleagues in planning, developing and implementing projects related to horticulture and crop production.
- Synthesis and analysis of data and writing of papers for publication in refereed journals.
- Contribute to the preparation of annual and technical reports of the Crop Diversification and Genetic Enhancement Section.
- Assist in the preparation of ICBA corporate publication including newsletters, articles, brochures, etc.
- PhD in horticulture or Agricultural Sciences
- At least 2 years’ experience in vertical and urban farming
- Strong publication records in indexed journals
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Experience working as a member of multidisciplinary team
- International work experience
- Working knowledge of statistics and programming
- Knowledge of Arabicand French
- Supervisory experience