Scientist – Molecular Biologist
The International Center for Biosaline Agriculture(ICBA) is an international, non-profit agricultural research center established in 1999 through the visionary leadership of the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB), the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund, the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development (AFESD), and the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). ICBA is a unique applied agricultural research center in the world that is focused on marginal areas where an estimated 1.7 billion people live. It identifies, tests and introduces resource-efficient, climate-smart crops and technologies that are best suited to different regions affected by salinity, water scarcity and drought. Through its work, ICBA helps to improve food security and livelihoods for some of the poorest rural communities around the world. ICBA is an equal opportunity employer and appoints qualified staff regardless of race, creed, color, age, gender, religion or national origin. We demonstrate our commitment to each member of our team through a competitive benefits package designed to assist our employees to cover their needs and the needs of their immediate family members.
Contribute to ICBA biotechnology programs on food, fruit, feed and fodder crops to develop suitable technologies for abiotic stress tolerance under marginal environments. Work closely with other disciplines, especially plant breeding, bioinformatician and data-manager to fast-track the germplasm improvement program using MAS/MABC/MARS. Develop mapping populations of climate resilient crops like quinoa and amaranth etc to map the underlying QTLs/genes for the traits of interest to speed up the breeding process. Oversee the work of new desert life science lab (DLSL) and take lead in relevant commercialization of the products / technologies.
- Oversee the molecular biology activities to support the crop improvement objectives at ICBA in consultation with the Program leader
- Develop permanent mapping populations, genotyping and develop high-density linkage maps to identify the robust and reliable novel QTLs for the desired traits for the marginal environment.
- Carry-out allele specific PCR assays regularly for SNP markers and gel-based markers (SSR)
- Supervise smooth running of the desert life science lab (DLSL) to the maximum efficiency.
- Coordinate with group of bioinformaticians and statisticians for the analysis of genotypic and phenotypic data sets.
- Ensure proper storage of the genotyping and phenotyping data sets on ICBA cloud storage and ensures its protection, accessibility and reliability for future use.
- Interact and associate with other research programs (internally and externally) to develop, implement and lead multidisciplinary research activities and participate as a team player in developing technical reports, extension material as well as corporate publications such as annual and bi-annual reports, newsletters, articles, brochures etc
- Develop strong national, regional and international partnerships and collaborate within existing networks.
- Capacity building of the students, post-docs and collaborators on application of cell and molecular biology etc.
- Develop projects related to area of expertise and in line with ICBA mandate, and procure internal and external funding
- Derive results from compilation and synthesis of experimental data for the inferences and outputs to publish scientific reports and research papers in refereed journals
- Any other assignment given by supervisor in the interest of ICBA
- At least 5 years post-PhD experience in cell and molecular biology /biotechnology / Genetics or related field from a recognized University
- Excellent experience in biological laboratory procedures and safe work conduct
- Well verse with all the major molecular biology techniques like DNA and RNA extraction, cDNA synthesis, PCR, gel electrophoresis, preparation and transformation of bacteria competent cells, Agrobacterium mediated plant transformation, screening of transformed plants and Southern blotting.
- Hands-on experience on high throughput genotyping and phenotyping, QTL mapping, development of genetic linkage maps using softwares like R/ASMap, WinQTL Cartographer, Qgene, MapManager and Mapchart etc.
- Practical experience in MAS/MABC/MARS breeding and particularly field breeding programs.
- Strong publications record in refereed journals
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Ability to conduct research with minimal supervision
- Team player with experience as a member of a multidisciplinary team
- International work experience
- Extensive knowledge of quantitative genetics, statistics, experimental design and database management
- Additional language skills (Arabic is desirable)
- Supervisory experience