Scientist - Socio- Economic
The International Center for Biosaline Agriculture(ICBA) is an international, non-profit agricultural research center established in 1999 through the visionary leadership of the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB), the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund, the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development (AFESD), and the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). ICBA is a unique applied agricultural research center in the world that is focused on marginal areas where an estimated 1.7 billion people live. It identifies, tests and introduces resource-efficient, climate-smart crops and technologies that are best suited to different regions affected by salinity, water scarcity and drought. Through its work, ICBA helps to improve food security and livelihoods for some of the poorest rural communities around the world. ICBA is an equal opportunity employer and appoints qualified staff regardless of race, creed, color, age, gender, religion or national origin. We demonstrate our commitment to each member of our team through a competitive benefits package designed to assist our employees to cover their needs and the needs of their immediate family members.
Under the leadership of the Director of Programs and supporting both technical programs (Crop Diversification and Genetics, Sustainable Natural Resources Management) the incumbent will advance ICBA research that addresses the economic and social issues associated with agricultural production and sustainable use of water and soil. S/he will conduct research, prepare plans, write reports and scientific papers and lead the social and economic analysis where needed in the ongoing projects in the countries where ICBA implements projects. S/he will also identify opportunities for engagement and partnership with external entities for carrying socio-economic collaborative research that advances ICBA strategy.
- Advance the integration of social and economic research into ICBA projects under both programs by:
- Identifying gaps in social-economic analysis and proposing measures to address them.
- Conducting literature reviews.
- Designing socio-economic baseline surveys.
- Oversee field surveys ensuring proper training of field surveyors and accurate collection of data.
- Carrying qualitative and quantitative analysis including agricultural policies; food science; economic and financial data (farm credits and subsidies); , technology and management practices, agricultural marketing systems and other statistical data using relevant economic methods and techniques.
- Economic impact and acceptability assessment of ICBA programs and projects and their outcomes.
- Carry-out specific research needed to enhance the quality of the existing data and enable publishing in leading international publications. This also includes ensuring proper storage of socio-economic data sets and supporting ICBA data-management initiatives.
- Derive results from compilation and synthesis of data for preparing for publishing scientific reports and research papers in refereed journals, as well as policy recommendations and policy briefs.
- Interact and associate with other research programs (internally and externally) to develop, implement and lead multidisciplinary research activities and participate as a team player in developing technical reports, extension material as well as corporate publications such as annual and bi-annual reports, newsletters, articles, brochures and other required ICBA publications.
- Present findings at regional and international meetings and conferences, as well as to stakeholder communities in the target countries. The position may involve regional and international travel.
- Develop strong national, regional and international partnerships and scientific collaborations with international and regional institutions and established networks.
- Develop projects and proposals related to area of expertise and in line with ICBA mandate and attract funding.
- Assist in capacity building programs of ICBA.
- Any other assignment given by supervisor in the interest of ICBA
- Ph.D. in one of: Economics, Agricultural Economics, Agri-Business, Finance, Resource or Environmental Economics, Sociology, Geography, Anthropology
- 5 years’ experience in a research role, including research with minimal supervision.
- Ability to initiate, conduct, and publish research in a scientific manner with a good publications record in refereed journals
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Team player with experience in working as a member of a multi-disciplinary team
- Demonstrated ability to obtain external grant funding
- Well-developed oral and written communication skills
- International work experience
- Working knowledge of statistics and programming
- Additional language skills, Arabic is desirable.
- Supervisory experience