The International Center for Biosaline Agriculture(ICBA) is an international, non-profit agricultural research center established in 1999 through the visionary leadership of the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB), the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund, the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development (AFESD), and the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). ICBA is a unique applied agricultural research center in the world that is focused on marginal areas where an estimated 1.7 billion people live. It identifies, tests and introduces resource-efficient, climate-smart crops and technologies that are best suited to different regions affected by salinity, water scarcity and drought. Through its work, ICBA helps to improve food security and livelihoods for some of the poorest rural communities around the world. ICBA is an equal opportunity employer and appoints qualified staff regardless of race, creed, color, age, gender, religion or national origin. We demonstrate our commitment to each member of our team through a competitive benefits package designed to assist our employees to cover their needs and the needs of their immediate family members.
The Senior Agronomist will be a member of the Crop Diversification and Genertics (CDG) group and a team member of the Program Directorate supporting the agronomy related activities and projects with the directorates two sections CDG and Sustainable Natural Resources Management (NRM). Specifically, the Senior Agronomist will conduct applied research for selecting conventional and alternative crops adapted to ecologies with excessive salt, heat and drought stresses; as well as support external projects as required. The senior agronomist will participate in developing technology packages including best crop management system and operations that optimize the utilization of nutrients, marginal soil, and saline water resources. S/he will lead drafting peer-reviewed publications.
The incumbent will report to the CDG Program Lead in collaboration with the NRM Program Lead, under the overall guidance of the Director of Programs.
- Planning, developing and implementing projects related to agronomy of salt tolerant crops and other aspect within the mandate of ICBA
- Developing and running crop models for crops under marginal environments
- Interact and associate with other research programs for multidisciplinary research activities and participate as a team player in developing technical reports and extension materials.
- Conduct specific research that is needed to enhance the quality of the existing data to bring international publication levels.
- Lead synthesis of data, preparation of required project reporting, and authoring papers for publication in refereed journals.
- Identify funding opportunities and lead the preparation of projects and proposals for submission including preparing the technical and financial components as well as identifying and liaising with potential national, regional and international partners.
- Participate as needed and contribute to training programs, conferences, forums, media, ICBA publications and other appropriate fora as required to present ICBA innovations and increase the visibility of the Center
- Liaise with existing and potential partners and advance mutually-beneficial collaborations.
- Oversee agronomist post-doc.
- Perform other tasks as per Director of Programs and CDG Lead.
- PhD in Agronomy from a recognized University
- At least 10 years' international work experience in Agronomy research
- Proven publication record in refereed journals
- Ability to initiate, conduct, and publish research and to obtain external grant funding
- Team player to work in multi-ethnic environment
- Fluency in written and spoken English, and well-developed presentation, negotiation and public speaking skills.
- Experience in statistics and database management
- Additional language skills, Arabic is highly desirable
- Supervisory experience
- Experience in project management or development projects.