Senior Plant Breeder
ICBA is seeking a dynamic and motivated senior scientist for the position of Plant Breeder. The successful candidate will manage all components of ICBA’s plant breeding programs, including management of existing germplasm, acquisition of new germplasm, development of elite breeding lines and hybrids of salt-tolerant crops intended for marginal environments.
Candidates are sought with proven expertise in plant germplasm evaluation, enhancement, and utilization in addition to demonstrated capacity to integrate next-generation technologies and large datasets with classical field- and laboratory-based plant improvement approaches in their research program.
The successful candidate will be expected to build an internationally recognized research program that integrates modern and conventional methods to make genetic discoveries and improve germplasm for salt-tolerant crops intended for marginal environments. The initial focus will be on ICBA’s key breeding programs on quinoa and perennial forages. Potential research topics include, but are not limited to, genetic resources characterization and evaluation, pre-breeding, genetics of abiotic stress tolerance, genetics of nutritional traits, and the integration of advanced breeding and genetic technologies with phenotypic selection.
- Identify specific needs and develop breeding strategies that benefit improvement of salt-tolerant crops in marginal environments, initially focusing on ICBA’s key breeding programs on quinoa and perennial forages.
- Support the lab-based molecular team in breeding projects for genetic improvement of target crops.
- Develop, propose and implement complex breeding/research techniques and procedures for the cultivation and improvement of the plant germplasm of stress-tolerant crops/species; in collaboration with participating National Research Programs (NARs).
- Develop, fundraise for and execute projects related to plant breeding in line with ICBA’s mandate.
- Publish research findings in peer-reviewed scientific journals with high journal impact factors.
- Develop strong national, regional and international partnerships and collaborate within existing networks.
- Develop and take part in workshops, conferences and training programs for scientists and regional specialists in plant breeding.
- Supervise associate scientists, technicians and field workers.
- Ph.D. or its equivalent in plant breeding and/or genetics with a demonstrated interest in integrating across multiple dimensions of the food system;
- At least 10 years of experience in plant germplasm enhancement; preferably with international research experience;
- Strong publication record;
- Proven success in obtaining research grant funding from international donors;
- Proven capacity to manage multidisciplinary and international research teams and projects;
- Effective communication skills, with an emphasis on presenting and disseminating research information;
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Innovation patents;
- Experience in introduction and domestication of new and non-conventional crops;
- Knowledge of Arabic and/or French.
Qualified candidates are requested to submit the following to HR Section at email@example.com:
- Cover letter
- Updated curriculum vitae
- Three references
Applications should be sent with the subject line “Senior Plant Breeder”.