Soil Researcher – UAE National
The International Center for Biosaline Agriculture(ICBA) is an international, non-profit agricultural research center established in 1999 through the visionary leadership of the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB), the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund, the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development (AFESD), and the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). ICBA is a unique applied agricultural research center in the world that is focused on marginal areas where an estimated 1.7 billion people live. It identifies, tests and introduces resource-efficient, climate-smart crops and technologies that are best suited to different regions affected by salinity, water scarcity and drought. Through its work, ICBA helps to improve food security and livelihoods for some of the poorest rural communities around the world. ICBA is an equal opportunity employer and appoints qualified staff regardless of race, creed, color, age, gender, religion or national origin. We demonstrate our commitment to each member of our team through a competitive benefits package designed to assist our employees to cover their needs and the needs of their immediate family members.
ICBA is seeking a motivated Soil Scientist to join our team. The incumbent is expected to perform the chemical, biophysical and biological analysis, as well as the characterization of different soil types in marginal environments characterized by aridity and salinity. The incumbent must design and deploy experiments using both soils and microorganisms under marginal environmental conditions. This incumbent will also be responsible for data analysis and interpretation.
- The incumbent will be responsible for studying the soil structure, properties, chemical, physical, and biological composition, and the soil spatial and temporal transformation stages.
- Design and deploy studies on soil characteristics, map soil types, and establish the effect soil management practices affects soil productivity.
- Investigate responses of specific soil types to fresh, treated wastewater and saline water irrigation.
- Develop and deploy on farm and in the greenhouse studies to establish the best soil types for different plants.
- Manage data collection and analysis.
- Write research reports and prepare technical presentations.
- MSc., degree in chemistry, crop science, soil science, biology, or a related field, such as agronomy, horticulture, plant physiology, or environmental science with a minimum of 2 years. Candidates with a PhD degree are encouraged to apply.
- Practical soil analysis experience.
- Experience working with different types of soils.
- Strong experimental design skills and perform data analysis using statistical tools.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to produce high-quality scientific publications
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, and reliable team player.
- Arabic and English language are essential