This event is organized by the International Center for Biosaline Agriculture (ICBA), the National Center for Agricultural Research and Extension (NCARE), and the Regional Centre on Agrarian Reform and Rural Development for the Near East (CARDNE), as part of the regional project 'Adaptation to Climate Change in WANA Marginal Environments through Sustainable Crop and Livestock Diversification.
The purpose is to develop a participatory framework and equip participants with methods and tools for:
- Assessing the impact of project interventions on the livelihoods of farmers at a. beneficiary or target farmers’ level b. project area/community level
- Identifying the institutional and policy environments necessary for scaling up of proven project results
- Assessing and recommending mechanisms and tools of disseminating project results
- Assessing the exit plan and ways of ensuring sustainability of project effects
- Methods for the socioeconomic use of TWW and the factors that affect adoption and draw lessons for scaling up
The objectives are:
- Exchange knowledge and share experience in implementation among the partner countries
- Review of progress during the previous period (February 2012 - January 2013)
- Presentation of the key achievements by each country, particularly with an emphasis on key areas identified in the 2013 work plan
- Update and revision of the work plan until the end of the project duration
- Plan for farmers' field schools
- Capacity-building needs and proposed events for 2014
- Information dissemination, knowledge sharing and publications
- Sustainability of the project and future plans
- Key events targeted at the project level and plan for final reports and documents for the project
The participating countries include Jordan, Egypt, Syria, Tunisia, Palestine, Oman and Yemen.
The presenters include Dr. Fawzi Al-Shayyabi (NCARE), Dr. Abdullah Dakheel (ICBA), Dr. Mohamed Al Rifaee (NCARE), Dr. Ghaleb Tuffaha (CARDNE), Ms. Ruba Al Shawa (IFAD) and Dr. Berhanu Degefa (ICBA).