Consultancy: Aquaculture Specialist
The International Center for Biosaline Agriculture(ICBA) is an international, non-profit agricultural research center established in 1999 through the visionary leadership of the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB), the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund, the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development (AFESD), and the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). ICBA is a unique applied agricultural research center in the world that is focused on marginal areas where an estimated 1.7 billion people live. It identifies, tests and introduces resource-efficient, climate-smart crops and technologies that are best suited to different regions affected by salinity, water scarcity and drought. Through its work, ICBA helps to improve food security and livelihoods for some of the poorest rural communities around the world. ICBA is an equal opportunity employer and appoints qualified staff regardless of race, creed, color, age, gender, religion or national origin. We demonstrate our commitment to each member of our team through a competitive benefits package designed to assist our employees to cover their needs and the needs of their immediate family members.
This consultancy will be conducted under the project entitled: “Adoption of inland and coastal integrated farming models in Laayoune region growing fish, Salicornia and other halophytes”. The project is funded by OCP-Phosboucraa Foundation and it is implemented in Laayoune region in south Morocco. Through the proposed farming interventions ICBA will support the local farming communities in inland and coastal areas of Laayoune region to establish farms that integrate halophytes. The ultimate goal of the project is to improve the livelihoods of smallholder farmers depending on degraded/desert lands in Laayoune region by making such lands more productive and creating opportunities for small-holder farmers. The focus will be mainly on the cultivation of Salicornia bigelovii and other halophytic species such as highly salt-tolerant forages and vegetables using the water from the fish following the Integrated farming approach. The project will demonstrate the productive and sustainable use of marginal water resources such as the reject brine from desalination and saline groundwater in an inland area for fish and halophytes farming. A Recirculating Aquaculture System (RAS) is needed to be built as part of the inland multi-component farm focusing on both freshwater and saline aquaponics systems and a local aquaculture consultant is needed to follow up with the fish operations and activities.
The aquaculture consultant is needed to have background in freshwater- and saline-based aquaculture. The aquaculturist should be capable to follow up properly the building process of the RAS system and its operational activities:
In particular, the following activities will be conducted:
- The consultant should work together with the aquaponics specialist, the aquaponics infrastructure engineer and the local experts for the proper establishment and operation of the RAS as part of the aquaponics system
- Lead the training of the local staff on the proper management practices of the aquaculture
- Help the aquaponics consultant and participate in the evaluation and selection of the most suitable fish species to support the local needs and according to the local conditions.
- Coordinate with the aquaponics specialist for the proper implementation of the best management practices for the fish
- Coordinate with the aquaponics specialist for the proper monitoring of the fish biomass (size and weight) to be ready and of good quality for the harvest season
- Coordinate with the aquaponics specialist for the proper monitoring and control of the fish for diseases and pathogens
- Coordinate with the aquaponics specialist for the proper inspection and advice on the operation of recycling water, control and monitoring system.
- Conduct trips to Laayoune region for the proper following-up of the project
- Prepare a thorough report / manual and presentation of the design of the freshwater- / saline-based aquaponics unit accompanied with the best management practices in Arabic or French in collaboration with the aquaponics specialist
- Bachelor’s degree to related fields (fish and fisheries, aquaculture technician from an accredited institute)
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in aquaculture / aquaponics
- Experience in implementing freshwater- and saline-based aquaculture
- Experience on recirculating aquaculture systems (RAS)
- Knowledge of using different fish species for aquaculture and aquaponics
- A working knowledge of both English and Arab/French is essential
- The expert should be of Moroccan nationality
- Supervisory experience and remote consulting
- In-depth knowledge of fish husbandry in both aquaculture & aquaponics
- Familiarity with desalination and implementation of aquaculture and aquaponics in desert environment
- Good teamwork skills
- Good, communication with multinational farmers and workers with training skills
- Creative, passionate, self-motivated and detail-oriented with the ability to work under pressure