Project/Experiment Duration: 2020-2021
Research Innovation Themes: Crop Improvement and Sustainable Production
Project/Experiment Team: Dr. Zied Hammami Dr. Abidemi O. Talabi Dr. Khalil Ammar Dr. Nhamo Nhamo Dr. Mohammed Shahid Mr. Balagurusamy Santhanakrishnan Dr. R. K. Singh
- Conduct agronomic and physiological characterization, and evaluate the potential yield of different forages under salinity and drought stress.
- Assess the nutritional quality of forage cultivars in response to different irrigation regimes.
- Determine the crop water requirements at different levels of salinity.
- Optimize fertilizer and irrigation water use.
- Evaluate seed production.
- Identify the best management practices for forage crops in marginal regions.
Planting date: 2020-2021 Field Variables:
- Experiment layout: split plot design (in randomized complete block design)
- Mainplot factor: three salinity levels (control + 2 levels)
- Sub-plot factor: three irrigation levels (control, one higher and one lower)
- Sub-subplot factor: 10 genotypes including Cenchrus ciliaris, Panicum, Festuca arundinacea, Rhodes Grass
- Number of replications: 3