Estimation of Salt Leachate in Integrated Agri-Aquaculture System (IAAS)
- To determine the potential benefits of using a modular farming system on groundwater quality by monitoring salt and nutrient leaching below the root zone.
- To determine the fate of reject brine from a farm desalination unit after it is directly discharged into sandy soil.
- To determine the economic and environmental benefits and costs of the practice of diluting groundwater with desalinated water and disposal of the resultant reject brine.
- To determine the impact of the reject brine and aqua-brine on soil’s quality characteristics using different irrigation regimes and halophytic crops.
Date of Sowing: 15 November 2022
Experimental design: Systematic non-replicated treatment arrangement
Irrigation systems: Drippers, Bubblers
Irrigation treatments: Groundwater (13,000 ppm), RO brine (25,000 ppm), Aqua-brine (25,000 ppm)
Plot Size: 9 x 9 m
- EAD (Abu Dhabi)
- Plant and Food Research Ltd. (New Zealand)
- Massey University (New Zealand)