Salt Leachate Estimation in Integrated Agri-Aquaculture System (IAAS)
Project/Experiment Duration: 2020-2023
- EAD (Abu Dhabi)
- Plant and Food Research Ltd. (New Zealand)
- Massey University (New Zealand)
- Determine the potential benefits of using a modular farming system for groundwater quality by monitoring salt and nutrient leaching below the root zone.
- Determine what happens to reject brine from a farm desalination unit after it is directly discharged into sandy soil.
- Determine the economic and environmental benefits and costs of the practice of diluting groundwater with desalinated water and disposal of the resultant reject brine.
- Determine the impact of reject brine and aqua-brine on soil’s quality characteristics under different irrigation regimes and halophytic crops.
Date of Sowing: 19 November 2020
Experimental design: not a specific experimental design
Crops: Quinoa, Salicornia and a halophytic grass
Irrigation treatments: Groundwater (25-26 dS/m), RO-brine (35-39 dS/m), aqua-brine (35-39 dS/m)